To be fair, it wasn’t as simple as watching a YouTube tutorial. I was upgrading an old Mac mini to El Capitan, but the downloaded on the Mac I was upgrading only downloaded half of the updater for some reason. This meant that, after I did the ol- “clear off and install”, it was stuck in a boot loop! I had to make a USB boot disk with a different computer (thanks YouTube) using the terminal. Anyways, fixing software problems rarely happens on a Mac, so when I manage to do it, it makes me feel like a 90’s movie hacker.
This story starts out with a simple goal: take 2 hours of Blu-Ray quality training video, chop it down to 20 mins of standard-definition watchability (why, you ask? well, 2 hours is excessive, and our projector computers video cards can only handle standard definition). The nice thing about my office is that, usually, when I’m rendering something on one computer, i can just switch to my other computer and carry on with work. Yesterday, however, I was in a bit of a time crunch so I had both my computers rendering video. I only had one rendering at first, and it said it would take two hours. Three hours in and only half done, I started to get worried and started recruiting other computers to help. It was still taking too long, I wasn’t going to get the video rendered in time, so I rendered on my surface as well as my macbook. So, from five to seven, I sat there hopelessly, working with PEN and PAPER so-as-not to offend the renderers, as I watched all of my computers take their dear time to process a couple hours of video. After all that, it got done with 2 minutes to spare, which isn’t enough time to edit and burn it, so I ended up having to give a synopsis of the video instead of showing it. Not near as fun, that! and very headache inducing.